Friday, January 13, 2023

clay: completing a commission and cone 10 bisque ware

I signed up and am on the waitlist for Zan’s ceramics class at College of San Mateo on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, but she deplored the classroom. I’ve memories still of the ceramics classroom at Skyline College and will maybe take advanced ceramics there, but I'll see on Tuesday. Zan said she will understand if I don't ask for the course code, and I did also enroll in an online 2-D Design course at Skyline College.        


But this past Tuesday and Thursday, clay club was me and Ellie and sometimes Zan. I rolled slabs of Electric Brown to re-make a drainage dish for herb pots and made a basil pot, which went under plastic to get leather. The clay was so soft that I fear the drainage dish may warp.                     
And the scraps were turned into more succulent planters.
And I thought I would glaze this cone 10 bisque ware, but I got paralyzed by indecision.                          
I knew I wanted to glaze that flower vase with Rutile. And like a squirrel, I got distracted by all the other choices of high fire glazes. For my two little bottle vases, Rutile for sure. But oh yeah, I mixed this batch of Coleman Red, so maybe instead?          
Ohata, which I googled is a Japanese glaze with purple-red or silvery areas. And I've always loved a copper green--does it look like an oxidized copper penny?
But maybe one of the bowls should be a Celadon Crackle, and this matte Marshmallow White is reminding me to pinch a salt bowl of Grogzilla if Zan still has some.
The Clear Gloss for sure on my textured ocean mug with maybe Cobalt on its interior.
And is Purple Heart a deep cobalt with floating pink blooms? And I recall Sperry Crawl looking pretty cool. But no, one of the textured mugs I made has to be in Rutile.
And so yesterday all I did was wax the bottoms of my Cone 10 bisque and refine leatherware.
 
And so this Saturday, I'll make more green ware. I remembered to stash my plaster molds in my car, but I forgot to put also the round tin that is my cutting template for the molds. I ordered bags of Sculpture Mix, Hawaiian Red, and Speckled Buff. Maybe I'll just make more of my ocean mugs if there's any reclaimed white clay. Bob and Lisa really liked the mugs I had made, so maybe I'll exchange the Hawaiian Red for B-mix to make more of my bestsellers. I'll need to go to Starbucks this morning and get a Venti latte to use the cup as a template tomorrow at the Central Park Ceramics Studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment