Saturday, January 7, 2023

(sober) curiosity: aperitifs without a lot of alcohol

Certainly I do reflect at the beginning of a new year about what I can do better, but like a lot of my friends I don’t make resolutions to avoid something that can not be sustained. I'm lucky that my body gravitates toward movement and craves healthy food. And so I suppose my 2023 aspirations are to continue to take pleasure in swimming and running and eat my favorite raw fruits and vegetables.

And I'm also aiming to drink more water. I'm not going to avoid alcohol because I do like to sip a buttery Chardonnay with pasta--and yeah I'm not gonna not eat carbs either. Everything in moderation. And I discovered not one, but two bottles of orange bitters in my alcohol cabinet, which are rather perfect for embellishing bubbly water and indulging in that ritual of making myself a cocktail before dinner. Tis also the season for citrus, a flavor I also love.
This week I've been making myself an aperitif before dinner, just with bitters, blood orange seltzer, tangerine zest, and Valencia orange juice. Perhaps this weekend, I'll include the gin and tonic. Gotta be better than drinking a whole bottle of wine like I did last night.
And I've got Campari as well as St. Germain AND limoncello in the freezer. And so I'd like to find a bar this year with a mixologist who serves shrubs and lower alcohol but complex cocktails for inspiration of my own at home aperitifs.

No comments:

Post a Comment