Wednesday, January 11, 2023

cook: date night dinner

I’ve noticed that the in-store cooking classes at Sur La Table for date night usually include some kind of grilled steak. For example, the Flavors of France protein is Porcini-Crusted Steak with Béarnaise Sauce; for Surf & Turf, Espelette Rub New York Strip Steak though okay, Italian Romance is chicken under a brick and Sushi for Two is well, sushi. I kept our date night dinner simple, and rib eye steak always feels like a date. I salted two rib eye steaks before charcoal grilling them. I embellished one with chimichurri sauce from Trader Joe's and chopped scallions. The other will be leftovers for carne asada tacos and Sadie's dinners.
For a starch, I baked two small Russet potatoes before adding butter, sour cream, and chopped scallion and chives. Instead of salad for a vegetable side, I roasted white, purple, yellow and chartreuse cauliflower with just a sprinkle of salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
 
I think it's been a month since we'd eaten steak for dinner.
And the meal felt special and was so delicious. And now I'm back to thinking of how to change up the rotation. I've stuffed mushrooms in my fridge that I need to cook, and so tonight I'll make a lemon artichoke pasta to go with those mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment