Monday, January 30, 2023

cook: avgolemono

Greek egg lemon chicken rice soup was something I cooked a lot in my 20s, and I think I first tried it at the restaurant La Mediterranee in San Francisco. However, I don’t always cook a lot of soup because I assume that Patrick doesn’t consider soup a proper dinner. However, I saw a recipe online for avgolemono with all the usual ingredients except this one subbed out orzo for rice and added dill. And I happened to have ALL the ingredients of the recipe, even the dill which usually perishes in my fridge before I can use up all the herb.  

Per the recipe, I sautéed the shallot for 2 minutes and then the garlic for a minute, but that was not long enough to soften the aromatics. They were still firm to the teeth when I poured in the chicken bone broth. Also half a quart didn't seem enough, and so I added another quart, which used up all the bone broth in the fridge.
 
Hubs had a meeting at 6:30, and so I needed to get dinner done pronto.
And I quite liked how the soup turned out, and Patrick told me he never had eaten a soup with lemon but that it was good. Okay I'll take it. And it's leftover for this week with the addition of some more chicken thighs that I had overcooked last night. I'm thinking too that I could cook a couple enchiladas with that chicken for Patrick who is not gonna be able to eat my Dan Dan noodles this week as I plan to make them very spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment