Sunday, January 29, 2023

cook + clay: bao buns + a trophy

Yesterday I finally got some lap swim into my schedule, and since I was at the community college, I stopped at the farmers market. And the Chairman Bao food truck was there! This time I chose the Spicy Chicken (toasted sesame puree, panchan pickled carrots and cucumber, cilantro) and Miso Tofu (tofu mayo--making it vegan--and baby choy sum).                    

 
I know I can re-make these! They were delicious, but I think I can make them even tastier. And because I brought the Pork Belly and the Coca Cola Pork bao buns to her, Cecilia made me a decaf oat milk latte to which I, of course, added almond syrup and almond extract.
While at Saturday clay, I managed to sandpaper my butter box and put it on the greenware shelf for firing; glazed two pots with gloss white--a planter and a cup; and painted underglaze on a greenware cup; rolled out reclaimed white slabs and impressed them with ocean waves--they'll be leather hard next Saturday for building into cups. Before all that, I impulsively started AND FINISHED building a trophy. 
The shape of the body of the pot to me conveys exasperated triumph; the handles look like arms on the hips. The greenware trophy is giving me more ideas for more trophies: YOU TRIED (AND THAT IS OKAY); PICKED MY BATTLES/KUDOS; DEALT WITH IT/1ST PRIZE; GAVE MY LAST FUCK/HONORABLE MENTION; PURE AWESOMENESS/CHAMPION. 
Okay these aren't my ideas but were adapted from bravery enamel pins designed by Emily McDowell.

No comments:

Post a Comment