Wednesday, January 18, 2023

clay: glazing for a cone 10 firing

I found a cork top for my Grogzilla salt crock though really I like the pot more without its lid. On the fence with this one. And I'm likewise torn about enrolling in Zan's Tuesday and Thursday night ceramics class. I can't. It's so exhausting, and I wanna work out. I wanna swim and run and spin. I wanna once in a while come home early and cook or craft. Or not. I think it's enough that I do clay club at Capuchino and to not FOMO about College of San Mateo, I'll leave at the latest at 5:45, maybe even 6:00 if it's okay with the custodial staff. Yep, my mind is made up. I'll go Thursday and finish the pinch pot I started. Or not. And tell Zan to squash my clay in the bag.

And last Saturday I brought this fired pot home from last term. I really really really like this Speckled Buff mug, where I was aiming for an abstract of Pumpkin and Petal Pink underglazes near the foot of the cup. Maybe I'll learn more in my 2-D class how to achieve an even more painterly effect.
Today at clay club for two (Ellie asked if I was gonna go, and I wasn't because I was gonna go home and chill before ceramics class at College of San Mateo), but I'm a sucker for a student in need. And why not be at Capuchino, where I could glaze my Cone 10 pots. And I did. For my bigger slab vase, I dipped it in the Coleman Red which to me looks a little like the Flambé glaze I so like.
 
For the smaller sister vase, Purple Heart which Addison one of the high school ceramics student mixed last year. Someone's gotta test the glaze, and so I will.
I made this mug last year from my favorite texture mat in Zan's classroom. I thought it cool that these pinholes were there, but now I'm worried that the firing will reveal a fucked up glazing. The Rutile is too thick. I'm going to fill the holes this Thursday unless Zan tells me that it's too thick in which case I'll start over.
I adhered underglazes of Medium and Marine Blue to this wave mug and filled its interior with Cobalt overglaze. I adhered Clear Gloss on the exterior this afternoon.
Sigh. I feel like I adhered too much glaze on these pots. Maybe I'll take a green scrub pad to them to even out the thick spots as well as rinse off the Rutile and start over.

No comments:

Post a Comment