Monday, November 2, 2020

Ceramics: Butter Dishes, Salt Crocks and Glazing Weekends

In addition to throwing a Halloween Happy Birthday Hour, I managed to vote.

So nerve wracking! I could have voted earlier as I knew who I want in the White House and in our Congress, but I did want to choose more carefully candidates for local offices and approve or disapprove more thoughtfully on propositions. Afterward, Sadie and I walked from our front door to City Hall to drop my ballot.

I had also managed to get in some clay time and this weekend, built a salt crock. No text on the last of my smooth red clay.

And aaackkk, the handle on the butter dish I built last week got quashed. And so I built another circle handle. Meral said I should fire the loop handle separately and then stick it with glaze, but I remember long ago a vase I made where a side came off despite scoring--I think I didn't use enough slip or glaze. And so I cradled the butter top and handle separately to the kiln room and despite being no longer leather but not bone dry either, I scored and slipped as much as I could and fingers crossed that some of those clay particles will knit the two parts together. I'll rely on glaze too to fuse it all together.
I also glazed with a couple of resist techniques: an adhesive stencil...
...and very skinny washi tape resist.
I'm so eager to see what the surface will look like on these speckled buff clay bodies.

And to cap off my Halloween weekend, I'm building my Dia de los Muertos altar.

I adore these photos of my aunt, maternal grandparents, and parents. I was going to put the last of our dahlias by the candle and photos, but first I need to pick up another bouquet to adorn our living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment