Sunday, November 1, 2020

Halloween during a Pandemic

Halloween coincides with the hubs birthday, and neither of us really wanted a big to-do. However, the biddy neighbors insisted they needed a social gathering, and although I hate people telling me what to do, I'm too pussy these days to tell them to go f#%k themselves because I sometimes get irritated at doing most if not all the work. I think one of them had even promised to go get birthday cupcakes which didn't happen, but whatever. And okay I'll stop bitching about them because they have been there during my time of crisis a couple years ago and I do enjoy cooking for a crowd. And so I made a trip to Trader Joe's to get puff pastry, more Brie, mozzarella and Chardonnay.

My "adult" snack is a super easy appetizer to make ahead and refrigerate for later. Cut puff pastry into squares to fit into a 12 cup muffin tin and brie into chunks, then spoon some pepper jelly or what I had on hand which was hot pepper peach jam onto the puff pastry square and then top that with a piece of brie. I don't even bother to close up or pinch it all up in the dough.

I also had some pizza thin crusts from the World Market which I did not like, and so this party was a good excuse to get rid of them and not waste along with some leftover spaghetti sauce, that and some pizza sauce and extra sprinkles of homegrown oregano and chopped basil from the herb garden. The hubs and girl then came home, and upon request, I put pepperoni on top too to then throw in the freezer. Another easy peasy appetizer. The hubs' palate likes kid food, and so puppies in a blanket next. Sheboygan weenies and crescent dough and honey and mustard for yet another easy breezy appetizer. Into the refrigerator they went.

Party time. Just crank the oven to 400 degrees and load in all the appetizers. Cooking times varied for the appetizers. Puppies in a blanket came out first.
While my other appetizers were getting hot and delicious, the trick or treaters invaded my kitchen.
These canines were the hubs' absolute favorite guests.
And then my puff pastry bites and pizzas were done.
I wish I had trimmed some rosemary to decorate the puff pastry on my slate board.
And yay for not having any more of these pizza crusts. And for no leftovers from the birthday celebration. That to me is success.
Luckily, the hubs was gifted some delicious local artisanal chocolates for his dessert while I fulfilled my sweet craving with a very ripe persimmon and more Chardonnay and watched my girl running back and forth between the kitchen and the bedroom before settling in with me on the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment