Sunday, November 1, 2020

Cooking: Meat and Meatless Burger Night

I haven't ever eaten a veggie burger, expecting it to taste like meat and can enjoy it for what is. Of course, I want to do my part for the planet by lessening methane gases into the environment and protest industrialized meat production by eating vegetarian as much as possible. There was a sale on Beyond Burger and Impossible meat analogs at my local supermarket, and on impulse I bought both. I read that these faux-beef burgers are made of soy protein, sunflower oil, yeast extract, potato protein, and vitamins and minerals. I've also read too that they are high in sodium. And so one night last week I barbecued grass fed beef (for hubs) and fake beef burgers (for me).


I have to admit that I wasn't sure my burger was not real beef. I kept picking off chunks of both the hubs' and then my burger patties, comparing taste and texture. I was pretty confused and wondered if I had even served myself the Impossible burger. I didn't salt the fake meat and so a super salty burger would've signaled to me that it was fake meat. I'm frankly creeped out by a fake burger that bleeds and won't likely buy any more Impossible products. I'll still buy and eat tofu though.

No comments:

Post a Comment