Tuesday, February 22, 2022

clay: dinnerware (eclipse)

I unloaded my dinnerware made from Obsidian (formerly Cassius Clay) this morning from the kiln, and I love, love, love them.

Each and every plate is different from the other. And I just measured the greenware plate, in its very moist stage, it measures 11.5" in diameter. Once bisque, glazed, and fired again, it measures 9.75" in diameter. Perfect amount of shrinkage IMO. They fit in my kitchen cupboard. 


I love that they look super modern, but also organic and handmade. Wabi sabi. Imperfect but beautiful in the eye of this beholder. I love the contrast between the black raw clay and mottled white glaze with black peeking through. I'm inclined to give this line a name, Eclipse because of that black perimeter. 
These plates took me forever to complete. Doesn't matter. I aim to make more. Right now I've churned out two white porcelain bisque plates and am thinking of a licorice glaze. You know for a line called Umbra.

No comments:

Post a Comment