Monday, February 14, 2022

cook: huevos rancheros for a crowd

I didn't want to be too harried Galentine morning while cooking eggs, and so on the previous night I prepped sheet pans for huevos rancheros. And AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH, I forgot to lay down the tostada in the pan. And here I thought I was gonna be bad ass by having it all ready to pop in the oven. Here's what I did. I layered refried beans first on to the sheet pan with a sprinkling of fresh oregano. And wow, hubs said it smelled like chicken liver in my kitchen, and below kinda looks like chicken liver pate.

And then a layer of chorizo with some sprinklings of shredded Monterey Jack. The chorizo below came from my favorite Italian sausage maker, and so it was a lot meatier in texture than Mexican-made chorizo.
And then add the layer of ranchero sauce...
I decided to fry up the other Mexican chorizo for the breakfast burritos. I also cooked a soft scramble of ten eggs, heavy whipping cream, salt and pepper of course, and sprinklings of fresh Mexican oregano.
Let the burrito-making begin.

Lay down a line of ranchero sauce, then black beans, then scrambled egg, then chorizo, AND then roll.
I think I must've rolled at least 25 breakfast burritos last night.
If I ever decide to cater a breakfast, these burritos are certainly the way to make a lot of food ahead of time to just reheat the next day. Cecilia is happy that these will probably be leftover to eat for the rest of the week.  

On a Sunday morning, I slid tostada shells underneath the refried beans and then baked the whole shebang for close to an hour (too long in my opinion) before sliding the poached eggs atop the bean dip.                               
I lost one egg to the floor of the oven. Oh well. But all the eggs were gone at the end of the day, and so success. I never did pop the breakfast burritos in the oven and instead passed them out to close neighbors to put in their freezer and eat later.

No comments:

Post a Comment