Tuesday, February 22, 2022

clay: test tiles + soap dish

Along with my pots, I pulled out test tiles of my new Coyote glazes. The Fire Opal is so pretty even if the color was not what I expected. More flesh than pink, but I do love the light pink mottling that is in the texture. For sure, one of the coupe plates needs to be this color.          
Sigh. This was a second test of this glaze. I had such high hopes for Floral Fantasy. Cone 5 may be too hot for this glaze. It's more like a light blue with flecks of ghastly bright orange, which is just not pretty as the test tile I had seen at the clay store.
Maybe it's boring and doesn't have the pizazz of an Archie Glaze, but I love the Baby Blue Satin. I like touching matte surfaces.
More tactile affection. I love, love, love this Seafoam Satin which is reminiscent of King Tut Turquoise with a matte clear over it.
I thought I was going to love, love, love this Gunmetal Green, but right now I'm thinking meh. Maybe I'll fall in love with it on a surface without texture so that the mottling isn't obscured by the texture. 
I needed a new soap dish because the abalone shell I was using has a hole, and I hate the leakage from it although I love it's iridescent, pearly interior. Hence, a sea-motif soap dish.
I used scrap clay at the Central Park, which is mostly Bmix and press-molded it from some wood forms and then added my favorite wave texture when I brought it home to smooth even more. I glazed the dish with a celadon called Downpour and brushed a little Colonial White on the waves. And yes I love that the dark blue pooled in the crevices. And wow does my soap dish seem big now that my jar of soap has shrunk.                              
However, I want to make things that are supremely utilitarian, and so soap dishes and storage crocks for butter, salt, spices, etc in addition to dinnerware of plates, bowls, and platters to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment