Thursday, September 15, 2022

clay: failures + successes = learning

I'd been needing to transplant this succulent for a while, and so I made a pot for it. Aargh, the pot I made is the same size. The plant has grown and gotten bigger, and so I needed to have made a bigger pot. I transplanted the pot anyway, and it'll do until I make a bigger pot…                
 

Zan had suggested I re-glaze with clear over the matte of these pots, and it wasn't much of an improvement. I think my interest in mishima has waned. They might have looked better if I had used clear gloss instead, but I ain't making them again. As for the soap dishes I labored so long to cast and fire and then glaze and decal and fire again. They're soulless AND ugly in my eyes. Sigh. A soap dish made from speckled buff and built by hand would've been much more attractive. And so no more casting of this soap dish, thank you very much though I do enjoy making ceramic casts from plaster molds. I'll make more tea bowls though the ones I glazed with Duncan crackle ran and stuck them to the kiln shelf. AAAARGH. Oh well do over.

The glazing on these cocktail cups was a bad application, but I still like them. I like the look of the raw underglaze and the ombre effect of the orange and the pink. I will try this surface technique again and play with orange and yellow as well as blue and green. There are spots in the interior with no glaze, and so I need to apply the gloss white glaze thinner or glaze the interior and the exterior separately.
Rather than dip the cup into the bucket of glaze after I've already filled its interior with glaze, I should just paint it on the rim and outside. It's okay. I'll make them again and also be more judicious of my application of underglaze on the exterior and rim.

No comments:

Post a Comment