Tuesday, September 13, 2022

clay: test tiles reveal

I'm working my way through a bag of Hawaiian Red clay and made some test tiles with pumpkin underglaze and burnt orange underglaze with a layer of matte clear on top. I'm not overly pleased.                        

They're not bad. Maybe the clear gloss would've been better. And maybe my application of burnt orange could've been thicker. More test tiles me thinks but with clear gloss if I ever decide to make plates with the Hawaiian Red because I do very much like the look of the raw clay in the cone 5 firing.

I also made a test of Toshi Brown and JB Brown on the Hawaiian Red. Better, but I think the two overglazes would look EVEN BETTER on the Sandstone Buff clay.
I like the earthiness of both overglazes and the look of the raw or unglazed clay body in their final firing, but just NOT on each other. Sandstone Buff are gonna be the next test tiles with Toshi Brown and JB Brown.

As for the Colonial White on the Sandstone Buff, it's a win.
I like it a lot and want to use these plates with guests soon which will be another test to see how they stand up to actual use. And now to go look at the other Speckled Buff dinner plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment