Wednesday, September 7, 2022

cook: lazy benedict

I noticed an impulse purchase of a Hollandaise sauce packet in my fridge.
I didn’t have English muffins. Nor Canadian bacon. However, I did have sourdough bread and prosciutto and plenty of eggs, which will be just as delicious thank you very much for a morning with no patience to slowly emulsify Meyer lemon juice, butter and egg yolks into a French mother sauce.
First I toasted a large slice of sourdough and layered the San Daniele prosciutto on top. Poached eggs are the easiest from a tip I learned from America’s Test Kitchen: crack the eggs in a colander and let any excess water drain from the egg, making it easier for the egg white to firm up around the yolk. My water however was merely hot instead of a gentle simmer. No matter.                              
My lazy Benedict breakfast was delicious, and I may just next time eat poached eggs atop buttered sourdough toast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment