Saturday, September 17, 2022

cook: breakfast burritos

I’ve been eating a mini frittata when a banana is not enough for breakfast. But I’ve been bored by little egg bites and decided to make mini breakfast burritos on this chilly Saturday morning. I took out pork chorizo from my freezer to thaw, which I cooked this morning with a chub of beef chorizo that was in the meat and cheese drawer of the fridge. While the meat fried, I chopped the pepper and onions leftover from fajita night.                  
 
I didn't think the refried beans from fajita night was going to be enough for breakfast burritos and for eating with carne asada and rice. And so I added a can of pinto beans to the refried beans to simmer together. I then beat six eggs.
 
I still had a bag of 18 flour tortillas leftover from fajita night, and so breakfast burritos would use up a lot of tortillas nicely. I also had an open package of Monterey Jack cheese to use up as well as a small bunch of cilantro and a bottle of spicy avocado salsa. I cut up aluminum foil to wrap up the burritos while slowly cooking and stirring the scrambled eggs.
 
Mise en place ready! My first few burritos were overfilled which made for messy rolling, and so I cut the cheese slices in half and put less filling on the tortilla: cheese, peppers and onion, a spoonful each of chorizo and beans, a spoonful of scrambled egg....
 
followed by a sprinkling of cilantro and a bead of avocado and tomatillo salsa. I made a total of 12 small breakfast burritos.
And there's enough leftover beans to eat with carne asada and rice and peppers and chorizo as well. I could make huevos rancheros for dinner this week too.
 
And I was compelled to assess other leftovers in the fridge.
Patrick brought home a kabocha squash, and I'll likely turn it into both a Thai chicken curry and a tempura. I'll be frying shrimp and broccoli florets and sweet potato.

No comments:

Post a Comment