Saturday, December 24, 2022

cook: breakfast for dinner

When I’m baking, I don’t have the patience or imagination I usually love about cooking. And it’s been a week of baking rugelach and orange pistachio chocolate shortbread and maybe even Meyer Lemon Blueberry loaves. I loathe going to the supermarket during the holidays. Yesterday I turned my car around twice from two stores and their packed parking lots and shuddered at the lines inside. I came home and cooked breakfast for dinner instead of the Dan Dan Noodles recipe I’ve been wanting to test out. I had finally boiled the little Yukon gold potatoes Patrick had harvested. Those golden nuggets were so delicious. I kept slathering a smashed potato with Irish butter and popping them into my mouth before cooking dinner. I chopped scallions and chives, half a red bell pepper, and took out English muffins and cheeses and sliced ham for Denver Potatoes for dinner. Then I sautéed the red bell pepper, ham, whites of the scallions and before removing from the pan.

 
Next I fried the potatoes and tried to get them as crispy as my patience allowed. I then topped the potatoes with the ham and scallion greens and bell pepper.
 
I had some provolone I wanted to use up and tore that into pieces atop the hash. I also remembered to put chopped tomato into this dish. Once that cheese melted, I added the shredded cheddar.
 
I stuck my potatoes under a low broiler to melt the cheddar and poached eggs while they broiled. Ai yi yi. My poached eggs were disastrous. Never mind. Some chopped chives will cover it up and dinner was done.
Breakfast potatoes for dinner were delicious even if my eggs weren't beautifully runny, and we so love a toasted English muffin with butter. On another night for dinner, hubby cooked himself a dinner of fried eggs for dinner along with both halves of an English muffin rather than splitting it with me--one with butter to eat with his eggs and the other with butter and strawberry jam for his sweet tooth afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment