Thursday, December 1, 2022

cook: sweet sesame salmon that was meh

I'd been wanting fish for dinner and took out two salmon filets to thaw while I searched for recipes. I found this one and thought, sure, why not? Not awesome. Not bad. But also very basic. And I think the meal would have been even more bland and boring if I had not pulled out all the Asian ingredients in my pantry.                 
As I was mixing dressings and sauces, I tried not to have all the dishes be one note. For the leftover shaved Brussels sprouts, I combined Meyer lemon, rice vinegar, Ponzu, Kewpie mayo and wasabi sauce to dress the slaw. For the baby Bok choy I bought over the weekend, I massaged the vegetable with soy sauce, Maggi, grated garlic and grated ginger and a bit of canola oil for roasting.
 
And for the fish, I followed the recipe pretty much as outlined on the website with citrus soy sauce (instead of my usual low sodium soy sauce), garlic powder, no chili flakes but hot honey instead, sesame oil, and sesame seeds.
I boiled jasmine rice and baked the Bok choy and fish for 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Dang it all, 10 minutes was too long for the salmon. I would have liked the fish medium rare instead.
I could tell the meal was only so-so as there were no compliments from the husband. OH well.
The leftovers will turn into a salmon rice bowl. An equally boring lunch. And so my mission is to come up with an Asian salmon recipe that is stunning and delicious. My November intention to create something every day is done. But really I would love to create every day because I've been neglecting the sewing side of my passions. And so without the everyday blogging of November (because it was a declared month for doing something creative every day which included cooking), I aim to cut, pin, stitch and construct cloth creations if I'm not putting my hands on mud.

No comments:

Post a Comment