Wednesday, November 30, 2022

ceramics: what to do with electric brown clay besides plates

I had dropped into the classroom the last period of the day, where kids were making boxes to house succulents. I promised Zan that I would bring my concrete planter of aeoniums for them to pluck and plant. Kids were also making ornaments, and there was a little bit of porcelain clay. I took a small ball of the white clay and rolled a very very thin slab. After making two dreidel ornaments, I could not find the bag in which to return the ball of porcelain scrap. And so I fashioned a spoon from it.

 

After school, I had slabs of Electric Brown leftover from making an herb planter comprised of 3 cylinder pots and a drainage tray. I was at a loss and didn't know what I wanted to make with those dark brown slabs, but in my clay tools bag was a clay mate's business card with info she'd written of a woman in her arboretum society who works for a florist and a caterer. That arboretum society member loved my little dark succulent pots glazed in white which I had donated to the group's plant sales. My clay colleague, Kathy had said my succulent planters were so simple, and I guess they appreciated the charm of the tiny pots made from the scraps of my Obsidian plates. I wondered if that woman had bought them, and so I decided to make more of those little pots because they would look good in multiples on a table.      
However, I think my slab bowls made yesterday are too shallow, which are fine for very tiny propagations. I need to cut out much larger circles to slump over the round plaster bowl molds we have in the ceramics classroom. And so the plan this Thursday is to mix plaster for another plate mold and to fill a small bowl that doesn't have enough plaster in it even though it's dried. And I think I'll make more planters like I made for Cecilia's niece and nephew, but not for the windowsill. A succulent planter just for a tablescape at a meal. A round mini cylinder pot with its own round drainage tray.

No comments:

Post a Comment