Saturday, November 26, 2022

craft: friendsgiving decor

My two holiday storage containers are starting to empty out of all the holiday décor I've gotten bored with and given away, but I'll likely hold on to these Thanksgiving decorations until I'm in my 60s when they no longer look fresh and no longer "spark joy" for me. For now, I'll enjoy all their tackiness. I spent a pleasurable morning yesterday, finally painting the laser-cut plywood welcome sign. I made do with the colors of acrylic paint I had on hand, and I suppose I will bring the plywood pumpkin with me to the art classroom later next week to touch it up.

In the meantime, it'll do. I decorated with Jo the club house yesterday for Friendsgiving today. I hung the icicle lights on the Command Hooks I instructed Jo to bring, but ugh, she said she had other decorations like autumn leaves (I told Patrick they were leaves from an adult coloring book she had cut and colored in blue and red to which he said, Oh Lord!)and a hideous wreath of similar colors. I tactfully kept my mouth shut because someday I'll be that same little old lady whom hopefully the younger generation will indulge and won't say shit if they find my aesthetic hideous. I didn't take more pics of the decorated clubhouse because I inwardly cringed at Jo's embellishments. Tiny white lights are my favorite decoration and are so lovely in the dark of night. It was 3:30 in the afternoon when I pretty much finished hanging these lights.
Yikes, seeing them in my pics shows what a sloppy job I did. I was just in a hurry to get out of the clubhouse and away from Jo whom I find annoying AF.
However, I do love these inexpensive signs I bought at the hobby warehouse on clearance a couple years ago.
I'd like to some day find a sign similar to the two above with wood frame and black text on white that says, "Celebrate Fall Y'all." I'll probably have to make that one by learning calligraphy and finding another framed sign at said hobby store and paint gouache as well as the text on it. 
But in the meantime, my pumpkin sign looks all right in my eyes.

Oh my gosh. I went to Hobby Lobby on Thanksgiving morning before hitting up Target for saltine crackers. And I checked out the clearance fall merchandise that was marked down to 90% off. This hello fall laser-cut plywood sign was only 40 cents (which I'll paint next year)...                             
...and this thankful sign was only 70 cents!
Criminy! That's obscene, but I bought them because they do coordinate and because I couldn't have made them as artfully attractive as these mass-produced decorative items.

No comments:

Post a Comment