Saturday, November 19, 2022

clay & cook: plate testing and the rachel sandwich deconstructed

The midfire white glaze was too thick in the bucket at the classroom and got applied too thickly to my Obsidian and Speckled Buff plates…aaargh! And so I brought home the three plates of each clay body with their glaze defects in order to test how they do with regular use. Patrick looked dubious and said, “I don’t know. We’re awfully hard on plates here.” But despite the pinholes, I do love how the plates look. I’m hoping the plate will withstand the acetic acid in this pickle…                     

…and the lactic acid in this coleslaw.
And all six plates have gone through a pass in the dishwasher. Yep this was supposed to be a Rachel sandwich (corned beef, Gruyère, Emmenthaler, and coleslaw grilled in between dill rye bread), but then my sandwich would’ve been too messy with slaw inside it. I ate the Rachel deconstructed or the coleslaw on the side—lots of it, and that’s just fine. This dinner a couple nights this week will be my lunch to finally use up the last of the corned beef and Gruyère Saturday noon before ceramics at Central Park to construct that last planter set from Electric Brown clay. Last night I sent Charlie home to his parents with half an apple tart on one of the speckled buff plates. Charlie's dad, Steve said the tart was delicious (gulp, it was Trader Joe's) and that the plate was so beautiful that he didn't want to return it. Excellent! I've been so judgmental of these plates, thinking that the irregular edges are too rough and not refined enough to sell, but I'm going to give my other two Speckled Buff "seconds" plates to Charlie's family and Patrick says he wants to buy from me a few more plates to give to them. I'm still unsure though how to price these plates. And now I'm remembering some dessert plates I made from Black Mountain clay that I sold at a Christmas ceramics show and sale to a couple that loved them. People including myself love the earthy dark clays and the rusticity of my plates, so I guess I should feel confident about the simple and rough appearance of my dinnerware.

No comments:

Post a Comment