Wednesday, November 30, 2022

cook: arroz caldo

Every culture has their chicken soup, whether it be noodle or matzoh ball or rice. In Asia, that chicken soup with rice turns into porridge. Jook, Congee, Lugaw, or Arroz Caldo (what my mother called this gruel) is on the menu after Friendsgiving even if I have no more leftover turkey. I did, however, have two large quart jars of homemade turkey bone broth and two boneless, skinless chicken thighs. When I eat Asian meals, I really like to gnaw on skin and bones, which grosses my husband out, but white boy is now used to it. And so I stopped at the supermarket to pick up chicken wings. In a tablespoon of canola oil, I gently browned and crisped garlic cloves, sliced thinly, which I then removed from the oil and set aside. Into that oil in the same pot, I browned the chicken wings and sprinkled a bit of salt on them. 

 
And there was glorious fond at the bottom of the pot from the frying chicken wings and into the pot next went the chicken thighs with a pinch more salt to pick up some of that beautiful Maillard browning.
And oops, I added the cup of uncooked jasmine rice to toast in the oil that should have been added AFTER sautéing the chopped onion, minced garlic and grated ginger. No matter. I added the bone broth to de-glaze the pot and prevent burning and just let the aromatics cook down with the rice. I did remember to season in layers or add a little bit of salt to the sautéing aromatics.
And I let that bad boy boil furiously and then simmer to break the rice down into starchy deliciousness for an hour and a half. I added the chicken the last 30 minutes of cooking once I saw that the rice was glutinous in texture.
I remained busy during the simmering of the porridge by readying all the accoutrements--chopping scallions, browning chicken skins in the oven, hard boiling eggs, slicing lemons, and setting out fish sauce with the crispy garlic. Cecilia commented that my Arroz Caldo bar was very reminiscent of what goes on top of Pancit Luglug.
And just before serving, I added a few spinach leaves to wilt in the hot brothy rice.
Garnish your porridge with all your favorite toppings...
...and feel comforted and nourished as you eat a bowl of Arroz Caldo from your childhood memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment