Wednesday, November 23, 2022

clay: glazing

I thought Zan and Ellie were going to join me yesterday afternoon at Clay Club, but nope. As usual, it was just me, myself and I. And so I hot waxed the bottoms of the pots and laid them out on newspaper ready for dipping and filling with white glaze. I think I'm most excited for the cover of the butter dish though I'm eager to see how the herb planter will turn out. 
I also made a couple of plaster hump molds, and unfortunately I didn't mix enough plaster to fill the bowl. And that's okay, I'll pour plaster again next week into these two same mold forms. I was looking at the plates made from humping over plaster and the plates made from slumping inside the tin plate. I like much better the more even rim from using my fettling knife to trim clay on the edge level with the rim of the metal platter. Alas I've only the ONE platter. 
I did buy a while ago, four melamine plates from the hobby and craft shop. And so the plan for the next bag of clay is to roll out slabs and use those melamine forms to cut out the circles on a wooden slab, stamp my name on the flat, and then lay the melamine plate over the clay and flip the wooden board so that the top of the clay plate can dry to leather for me to smooth and refine the rim of the coupe plate before removing and smoothing its opposite rim. The process will make sense once I take pics.

And all the Speckled Buff bisqueware is glazed!
What I didn't glaze are plates that I think are either Smooth Red or Hawaiian Red. But I see below that I also made some test tiles. And so I must have intended to see what the J.B. Brown and Toshi glazes would look like on the red clay body.
And so I need to remember to glaze and put those test tiles into the kiln along with the Speckled Buff pots before I even glaze these plates because I almost glazed them white today. I also told Zan that I ought to pay for half of the Colonial White glaze because I'm using so much of it, but unfortunately Clay Planet is closed this Friday and Saturday because of Thanksgiving. 

However, I did a test glaze on a red clay bisque plate. Smooth Red? Hawaiian Red? Surely not Navajo Wheel or what is now Red Velvet.     
I adhered Toshi Brown and also can't wait to see how it looks on a clay darker than Speckled Buff. And so those two tiny test shallow bowls/plates will have test glazes of J.B.'s Brown and Colonial White or white gloss.

No comments:

Post a Comment