Thursday, November 24, 2022

cook: shredded brussels sprouts salad with hazelnut crunch

I started Thanksgiving morning by hauling out salad ingredients for Martha Stewart's Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Hazelnut Crunch. I made this specific recipe a few years ago and wondered again this morning, why? In theory, I like all the separate components of rosemary, lemon and nuts. However, together? Perhaps not. But I plodded through.                             

I've learned that I like hazelnut flavoring in my coffee drinks, but the nuts themselves are not my favorite. I wished I had used pecans or walnuts instead. And I thought I would love this nut crunch, but...no. I kept nibbling and just wasn't in love with the flavors.
Nut crunch made. It was time to shave the brussels sprouts on my mandoline. I was careful to not slice or cut myself accidentally, so very mindful that I actually found cutting the vegetables kind of Zen. I still had lemon vinaigrette in my fridge which I thought would be an improvement on Martha Stewart's recipe which only had lemon juice and olive oil. 
 
And I had Brussels sprouts leftover to roast for dinner another night:)
Okay I won't be making this particular shredded brussels sprouts salad again. I do love these miniature cabbages in their raw form, but I think I'd like them better with crisp pancetta and an apple cider vinegar-based dressing and maybe some golden raisins instead for a fall table.

No comments:

Post a Comment