Wednesday, November 16, 2022

cook: never the same breakfast burrito

I had scrips and scraps as usual in my fridge for Saturday morning cleaning. I bemoaned at having to toss the contents of forgotten containers of hummus, roasted peppers, and sautéed peppers. I resolved to stay more on top of leftovers and plan more to prevent food waste, especially with grocery prices being so much higher these days. Leftovers that were still edible were the 3 flour tortillas, the ground beef and rice Patrick had stuffed into bell peppers a previous night for dinner, some grated cheddar cheese, cooked pork chorizo, and refried beans. I cracked two eggs and poured heavy whipping cream into a bowl with a bit of S & P, put the ground beef and rice and pork chorizo and some hot enchilada sauce into a pan to heat and zapped the refried beans in the microwave for a minute.     
After reheating the rice and meat and beans, I soft scrambled the eggs and cream with a couple pats of butter, then smeared the refried beans on to the tortilla, added beads of rice and meat and scrambled eggs, and then sprinkled the grated cheddar on top of it all and ROLLED.
Kind of difficult to contain all the filling in the tortilla when a bit overstuffed, but my method is to fold up the left and right sides first and then folding and rolling from bottom to top, making sure the seam ends up on the bottom. Burritos without having first browned then become a soggy mess when reheating, and so I crisp them a little in my non-stick skillet with a little bit of cooking oil to a golden brown.
 
I ran one burrito over to Cecilia, put one wrapped breakfast burrito in the fridge for later on in the week, and poured my Coca Cola over ice (my weekend caffeinated drink) and sat down at my coffee table to eat.
Dang delicious. I watched the docuseries, Home on Apple TV. I love that show. How did I not become an architect in this life? I guess I've imposter syndrome when it comes to being an artist. I'll continue to keep my day job as a school librarian while on my slow journey to a B.F.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment