Sunday, November 13, 2022

cook: stuffed bell peppers

While clearing our plot at the community garden, my husband came home with 24 small peppers. Patrick said I should stuff them, to which I responded, that's the plan, man. And so I came home expecting to cook rice and beans in some kind of chili-based or enchilada sauce to stuff into the peppers along with cheese, but Patrick beat me to it. I came home to him putting grated cheddar cheese on top of his stuffed peppers after he had just removed the aluminum foil that they had been baking in the oven. I asked what he put inside the peppers, and he said he mixed the leftover rice in the fridge with browned ground beef and some of our home canned tomato sauce. He also said he didn't follow the directions to cook the peppers before stuffing them, which was great as I like a little crunch and a not-too-soft cooked bell pepper.

The peppers were a delicious dinner if a bit greasy. I was going to stuff and cook them for a Mexican flavor profile, but Patrick went all-American with a touch of Italian. I said I could taste garlic, and he said yeah he cooked the ground beef and rice with onions and a lot of garlic. 

We even gave the neighbors, who had stopped by with their dogs for turkey treats, a couple peppers to eat at home and they raved about it the next night.  I liked how sweet our homegrown peppers were AND that I wasn't the one to cook dinner that night AND that there were more leftover stuffed bell peppers to eat when I don't feel like cooking after a work day followed by clay club this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment