Monday, November 28, 2022

cook: pilipino pork skewers

T’was the night before thanksgiving, and I was gonna cook something that was not poultry in preparation for days of eating leftover turkey after the holiday. Those are my fond memories of childhood Thanksgivings--leftover stuffing, a little bit of mashed potatoes, and lots and lots of gravy poured over dry turkey breast. And this year, the husband and I came home empty handed of any turkey. That's another tale. But some nights ago, I took out boneless country style pork ribs from the freezer and marinated them overnight in a Filipino barbecue sauce of lemon lime soda, Jufran banana ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic--this sauce was leftover from a barbecue months ago and kept well in my fridge even if the soda was flat. I cut the meat into tiny bite sized pieces and pierced them on to bamboo skewers. I love an excuse to light up the charcoal grill in supremely cold weather. The pork caramelized, and the fat burnt and got what I call "Cajuned."                           
Roasted Brussels sprouts and baby carrots and steamed rice completed the meal.
I think the first time, I cooked this meal, husband complained about what I don't even remember...
But this time, he said it was good, and I've leftovers for a lunch or lazy dinner this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment