Saturday, November 12, 2022

clay: herb planters

My neighbor, Cecilia buys my pottery as presents for her relatives, and she has commissioned me to make herb planters. Specifically, she wants to plant mint, oregano, thyme, and scallions into the planters and asked me to inscribe text into them. Today I ought to make 4.5" squares because I want to make a rectangular tray to hold three of the 4" square pots. However, earlier this week, I made a pot attached to its drainage dish. Oi! The proportions look awkward. I feel like the dish is too large for the pot. And I inscribed the text, "Herb de California" as a generic label. I looked online at other pots and saw "grow," "thrive," and "flourish." Or maybe pseudo-chalk paint or a black underglaze surface on which to write what herb is in the pot.

And I was working with soft slabs and didn't really have time that day for the clay to get leather. The pot looks so very messy. I incised 4 drainage holes at the bottom of the pot.
I should have cleaned up the rim and the holes before adhering the pot to its dish. But oh well. Finished is better than perfect on this particular day.

The height of the wet clay is almost 5.5" and the width about the same I think.
I had made a drainage dish the day before that was too small and was going to make another pot to attach to it the next day. Instead I made another pot with a bottom and drainage hole or two separate pots.
I had scraps from my herb planters of course and made a seedling pot for a succulent.
I visited my co-worker, Lisa's house and she had one of my tiny succulent planters on her porch rail. It was so cute! And glazed in root beer, and so I aim to glaze this pot in waterfall brown which was similar and just as pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment