Friday, December 9, 2022

craft: bead bracelet christmas presents + a commission

There’s a copy clerk at my high school who became a friend early in the pandemic when we reopened only to small learning pods, where her job changed to Covid screener. I made her this bracelet because she posts a lot of pics of her granddaughter on Facebook. And the bracelet below that is one I made for a colleague whose boyfriend is named Jesse.                                  
 
Angela loved her grandma necklace, and she asked me if I would mind changing it to Nana? I said of course! I love that it would be even more personalized. And then she said she would pay me and asked if I would make one that said JUJU'S MOM for her daughter. Oh! I thought that would be so cute. And so I did make a mother and daughter bracelet set. And while I was at it I dug out the baby tiger I was going to donate to SCRAP and embellished it with rhinestones and added a chain to make a necklace for Angela's granddaughter.
I dithered over colors. Angela said her daughter likes purple, but I didn't know what other colors she would like. I played with the gender stereotype of pink for little girls and in the end, kept it simple like Nana's.
The night before I finished my niece, Jelissa's motherhood bracelets.
The fact that Angela preferred Nana to Grandma, made me think that my sister-in-law is called Lola instead of Grandma to my grandnieces and grandnephews. And so I'm going to make hers say Lola though I'll need to turn to a color palette generator or my favorite color palettes ideas board to figure out what colors to use. I did finish the bracelets the other night for my assistant.
I'll make an additional bracelet that will say DOG MAMA although the PLANT MOM is oh so appropriate too--but that can be her birthday present in the spring. And there's another bracelet I need to make for this Tuesday when I meet up with two other librarian cohorts. Her bracelet will say FUCK IT because she's such a foul-mouthed missy and be pink because she's also such a girly girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment