Wednesday, December 7, 2022

cook: store-bought shortcuts for chili

I followed a fan of Ina Garten, #storeboughtisfine and am reminded that it’s okay to take shortcuts when cooking. My Sunday chili was my example. I soaked and boiled small kidney beans the night before and then chopped onions and garlic right before cooking chili, but there were some convenience foods involved in Sunday supper. The chub of beef chorizo expediently contains paprika and chilies like pasilla to add spice to my chili. I also took out a couple of frozen biscuits to reheat in the oven for a starchy side.                 
And let's not forget cutting labor in half by having grated cheese and chopped scallions I already had in the fridge as well as the remains of canned tomato sauce from my summer preserving.
Winter break starts in a couple weeks, and I've resolved to nest and cook from scratch when I host a couple of small dinners for friends. And string bead jewelry. And big stitch quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment