Monday, October 26, 2020

Ceramics: My Clay Fever Is Coming Back

It felt like such a stupid long time to get my mud on when I went through my mid-life crisis a couple years ago, and then the pandemic hampered my renewed interest in ceramics. But then I got a couple pieces fired in the past few months, and it has been so gratifying. Especially when I saw that my niece posted these pics of her daughter holding one of my collaborative pots--my friend, Meral threw the cup and I decorated its surface: rice paper blue Chinese decals with a blue celadon called Downpour. And ain't Dani a cutie?!?

As always I resolved to strive for quality rather than quantity. I think I've found a groove where on my one day of the week that I do clay, I hand build just one pot and then break it up with glazing a bisque pot or two. My glaze collection grew from two bottles of underglaze, black and white to a ROYBGIV array and one or two Cone 5-6 overglazes.  


This latest butter dish was a lot of fun, and now I'm considering giving my loved ones homemade gifts of a butter dish plus a block of my favorite Kerrygold or a salt crock plus a bag of Himalayan pink salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment