Monday, October 19, 2020

Cooking: Cantonese-style Chilean Sea Bass

When I saw this Chilean sea bass (also known as Patagonian or Antarctic toothfish) while warehouse grocery shopping, I could not resist. I pondered over the weekend how to cook this tender, buttery fish and decided to steam it the way Chinese chefs do. My family always orders the whole steamed fish when we dine out at Chinese restaurants. However, I don't have a steamer though I could just prop the fish over an empty tuna can. I decided to bake it. I grated ginger and garlic with my microplaner. Sliced scallions on the bias. Coarsely chopped cilantro.

And set out all my stainless steel pots, a small one for boiling jasmine rice, my Turkish pot for heating oil, and my stockpot for boiling the bok choi which I forgot to add to my Thai tom yum goong. I put soy sauce and sesame oil in the bottom of my foil packet and set the fish on top and then the garlic and ginger on top of the fish. I reserved some of the garlic and ginger and soy sesame sauce for my bok choi vegetable side.

I fortunately remembered the bok choi I bought at the Filipino grocery store and cleaned it for boiling--just 2 minutes in boiling water in which I threw a small handful of salt and sugar.
Our Chinese dinner looked and tasted so good that we tucked into it before I could take a picture. Oh well. 
I want to return to Costco and find some more of that Chilean sea bass. Luckily there's leftover rice for Spam and fried rice if I get stuck on what to make for dinner plus some rice to eat with the leftover fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment