Saturday, January 30, 2021

Ceramics: Goals in the Studio Today

I'm headed as usual on this Saturday to the ceramics studio aka these days, Meral's garage. I probably will resume Saturday classes at the Parks and Recreation classroom when it re-opens. This week's kiln reveal means I'm gonna re-do some pots. The butter dishes, of course. And Zan's bottles are inspiring me to revisit handbuilding vases.

I also want to re-make this mug with the dark clay I have left.
It's not enough like the mug I fell in love with at my breakfasts in Arrowmont.
My handle is awful. I guess I'll pull it this time around. The colors are blurred and are not as vibrant, and so I should apply it even more thickly. I wonder if the colors on the Arrowmont were applied with a slip trailer. The mark making is not as sure and deft. I also did some test glazes. Below are my new Coyote glaze of Opal and my old Laguna Robin's Egg. I told Meral that I need to go back to using white clays because glazes look so darn pretty on Bmix.
The kiln also gave me a sandstone "sea" mug, sushi platter, and salt crock which I think I'll antique with black underglaze (which I'm hoping will turn dark blue with an overglaze to react with) and then layer with the Coyote Opal. Sometimes a kiln reveal will pleasantly surprise me. I do like my nesting bowls made with an electric brown clay body. Below is the Papa bowl glazed with the celadon, Snapdragon.
Mama bowl in Brilliant Sunburn.
Baby bowl in Fairy Rose.
Yeah. Back to refining those edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment