Monday, January 4, 2021

Cooking: Asian-Marinated Flank Steak, Bok Choi and Jasmine Rice

Uh oh. I think I'm already in a cooking rut because didn't I just cook and blog this dish just a few weeks ago? This time, I didn't turn to recipes online but just to my memories of what constitutes an Asian flavored menu. I shopped my freezer for the flank steak and removed from the fridge every Asian ingredients I had: mirin, black sesame oil, oyster sauce, Worcestershire sauce (okay not Asian but it does have a fish element like anchovies), Gochuchang, soy sauce. Chopped some garlic and squeezed a Meyer lemon and put into the Ziploc bag of meat and all the sauces and back into the fridge until grilling time.

I also had bok choy from a couple weeks ago; it's a cabbage and doesn't wilt as easily as other delicate greens. I removed the stem ends and chopped the whites from the greens. I decided to make another sauce to dress the cooked cabbage with oyster sauce, chili oil, soy sauce and mirin and of course, chopped garlic. Hubs said bok choy is not his favorite vegetable. Harumph. Too bad. But next time I will just sauté the greens with chopped garlic and salt in peanut oil in my wok. There's a lot of water the vegetable and was flavorful enough.
I did vary my steamed jasmine rice and used a cup of water and 1/4 cup of coconut milk to cook the one cup of the grain.
And then it was time to light it all up. 

And then serve it all up. Pour myself a cup of warm sake on this chilly January evening.
And the meal may be boring.
But it was fast, simple, comforting and nourishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment