Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Quilting: Mermaid Quilt

I attempted to make rows of waves to sew between panel rows of Mendocino fabrics: epic fail.

It was starting to look terrible and become even more difficult to square up into a rectangular quilt, and so I decided to give up and return to the drawing board. In concept, I like the rows of gentle curves or waves, which would work for a smaller accent piece like a pillow.
However, I was going to start over with the solid fabrics I had left after my minor disaster. I love these fabrics and still don't want to cut up the big panels and lose the print.
I once sewed panels of my favorite Amy Butler and Cotton and Steel fabrics into a quilt.
I envisioned doing the same with the Mendocino lines but change it up a little like in the quilt patterns below.
But that would still entail cutting up the fabric, which I was determined not to do. And so I'm going to border it with traditional blocks: I found two, one called the Lost Ship Block and the other called Ocean Wave.
Last night while cutting and putting together the solids, I was not liking the clash of the medium pink, which looked neon against the other blocks. 
Aaargh. I feel compelled to edit those jarring pink blocks out even though it was so much work to sew all those friggin' half-square triangle blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment