Monday, July 20, 2020

Quarantine Baking: Stone Fruit Galette & An Omelette Too

Sunday morning, I finally felt like I had the time and leisure to bake the galette I'd been wanting to bake. Below are all the ingredients you need, including a package of cream cheese removed from the fridge to come to room temperature.
Slice the fruit thinly to make 2 cups and combine with  sugar, a couple tablespoons of cornstarch, and a teaspoon of almond extract. I bought my fruit three weeks prior and stored it in the fridge--not a good idea. Next time I'll bake this galette when the fruit is at its peak and not beyond.
Separate the egg, and combine the yolk with the cream cheese and a powdered sugar.
Next spread out the pie dough on a lightly floured surface.
The directions called for the pie dough to a 13 inch diameter, so haul out my French rolling pin and a tape measure.
Next spread the cream cheese mixture onto the pie dough circle leaving a 2 inch border.
Then layer the fruit atop the cream cheese layer.
Next fold up the edges to create a rim. This galette is meant to look rustic luckily.
Brush the egg white on the exposed rim and sprinkle with sugar and bake for 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
I still had a lot of egg white which I hated to waste, and so I plopped open another egg into the bowl and took out a mushroom, some frozen Swiss cheese, heavy cream, black truffle oil, and went out into my herb garden to cut and chop garlic chives, chives, parsley, and chervil.
I remembered the garlic oil in my fridge and took out butter and sea salt too. I wish I had remembered the nutmeg which tastes really yummy with Swiss.
I sauteed the chopped and slice mushrooms in the garlic oil.
I then removed the mushroom in the pan and poured the beaten egg and cream into the skillet to form soft curds and set. I sprinkled the mushrooms, grated Swiss, chopped herbs and a little sea salt on to the omelet.
I was aiming for the football-shaped delicate French omelette--but too many ingredients instead made it more like an American omelet. However, I didn't brown the egg because I wanted it to be soft and tender.
And it was and delicious even if it wasn't petite and dainty and perfectly football-shaped.
The omelette breakfast prevented me from eating a whole galette for breakfast. 
I was pleased too by the finished galette.

No comments:

Post a Comment