Friday, July 17, 2020

Quarantining: Art + Food

I had a ceramic wave plate that didn't sell during one of my pop-ups and so brought it home to use as a sushi platter.
The stamped pattern is rather deep. I suppose next time I make one, I will use less pressure to roll out the impression on the clay. After walking the dog, I went to Joann's to buy some yellow thread and find a birthday present for a girl who is turning 14. I almost bought her threads to make friendship bracelets but then thought, but what if other girls are not deserving of her handiwork? what if she doesn't want to craft friendship bracelets because they're too juvenile I also know she just finished arm knitting a huge blanket and thought is she sick of weaving fiber? Then I looked for craft books. I don't know if Stela is into drawing and painting, and she seems impatient with sewing. However, I do know she likes crafts like her mom, Michaela. And so I finally opted for a pair of cute socks and a $25 gift card to buy the craft supply she wants. Cash may be crass, but a gift card can be practical and thoughtful. She did tell me about all the trips she made to Joann's to buy more yarn to finish her blanket, and her mom chimed in about using discount coupons multiple times. After Joann's, I hit Nijiya Market. I decided hubs can DIY his dinner, and I would eat Japanese food.
I bought salmon and a California roll to make a Lion King roll. And squid tempura because I was starving.
Yup, I was still a little hungry after my fried squid and a leftover fried chicken cutlet, and so I did my usual mixing Sriracha and Kewpie and then brushing that over the rolls and the fish after a squirt or four of wasabi sauce and over the creamy pink sauce, a final drizzle of unagi sauce before popping it under a low broil.
I still miss sushi and Miso soup and salad and Matcha ice cream at Izakaya, but at least during this pandemic, I can still shop at a Japanese market. I also bought fat Udon noodles at Nijiya because tonight's dinner (if the hubs so chooses to eat Asian cuisine with me) will be leftover barbecued chicken and garlic noodles. Tune in next time for that cliffhanger.

No comments:

Post a Comment