Monday, July 6, 2020

Quarantine Cooking: 4th of July Weekend and Retail Therapy in a Pandemic

I'm an introvert, and so parades and fireworks are really only exciting in theory for me. I like Independence Day celebrations if I'm not surrounded at close proximity by strangers though yeah I do enjoy the grilling and a gathering if it's just close friends and family. Alas this season I did not go to Vallejo and Benicia to visit my brother and niece and nephew and my fun and funny grandnieces and grandnephew. I intended to sew, but first went to Joann's to go buy Kona white or natural solid to finish quilt projects. Nope :(. So many people have taken up crafting and sewing as a hobby being in lock down that stores have run out of my favorite goods for making. Oh well. I thought okay I'll at least buy more embroidery floss which was and rarely goes on sale. And then right there at the front door were a couple of tables laden with FREE stuff, overstock and remnants from other clearance sales for which there was no more room.
 
Gawd did I have fun. I found cute socks and this chocolate box for making and gifting homemade truffles that were FREE. I love VALENTINE'S DAY. It's one of my favorite holidays.
I also found this FREE iron-on decal that I'm going to adhere to a long-sleeved white tee to wear with black leggings and my witch's hat, which will be my costume this year because I also love HALLOWEEN.
I was so elated that I went to the Joann's in Redwood City to maybe be able to buy Kona solids in the colors I needed there and maybe find more schwag. Yep, not pictured are the cute EASTER llama socks(not pictured and love that holiday too), but I also bought this cute 4TH OF JULY tutu along with ribbons for wearing and crafting for the Independence Day holiday.
But prior to stopping at Joann's in Redwood City, I drove to World Market for curbside pick-up of my paella making kit. There were hardly any people inside the store, and so I decided to pick up my online purchase AND to browse. So. much. fun. I want to make a ceramic plaque like the one below, but with a chihuahua. And since I was there, I bought wine, wineglasses to replace my broken ones, a seafood paella kit, banana peppers, sport peppers, rice paper for making rolls, rice vermicelli, flat rice noodles, Calasparra rice, decaf British tea, a small bottle of sake, paprika--both spicy and mild, Pabst beer, and a carbon steel wok in addition to my new paella pan that comes with saffron, olive oil and Bomba rice, celery seed, and metal cocktail measuring cup.
But before we could eat hot dogs and potato salad for the holiday, the hubs said we had to consume our leftovers. Thank goodness for a an early July harvest of tomatoes and summer squash to supplement leftovers.
 
I like one oven dinners. I had decided to salt and red pepper flake the squash before massaging it with olive oil and then sprinkling rosemary and roast it in the oven along with reheating the leftover black cod and artichokes.

I'm usually not pleased by leftovers for dinner, but this was a pretty good meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment