Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Quarantine Cooking: Chicken Schnitzel

Recently I watched Padma Lakshmi turn veal scallopini into Austrian schnitzel, and that's where I got the idea to take a heel of the Jewish rye loaf I have, toast it and turn it into crumbs to combine with crumbs made from stale hot dog buns. And I recall querying my Czech assistant on how she cooks schnitzel. She cooks it and packs into her lunch or backpack for trail hikes (I love that)and when she serves it for dinner, she makes a yogurt and dill sauce. That's gonna be another variation of chicken schnitzel. I plan on making tonight's dinner simple: chicken schnitzel, garlic mashed potatoes, fried green tomatoes (because I'm frying chicken anyway, so might as well throw in tomatoes too in the oil). First thing, the chicken breasts. I'm using chicken instead of veal and pounded boneless, skinless breasts with my French rolling pin to make them thin.
And then the breading station. And mashed potatoes set-up.
And then I remembered the green tomatoes. Keep the station and add a little corn grits and more Italian bread crumbs to the breading.

Everything fried pretty fast.
 And mashed potatoes of course.

Welcome chicken schnitzel (with some kind of creamy dill sauce and chopped pickles) or chicken Milanese (top with lemon and arugula salad)or fried chicken and waffles to the rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment