Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Quarantining: Crooked Seams and Cracked Clay

Hubs got annoyed yesterday that I got up early and was making too much noise before leaving for the sewing studio. But I've some work meetings in the week and want to get this quilt done before work or the school year really inundates me. I discovered these skipped stitches on the back of my quilt.....aaargh. And so I re-threaded the machine.
And made a quilt sample. Yes! Re-threading my machine and putting the tension back to normal led to consistent seams. I'll go back later and add more seam lines next to the lines of ugly loops to make this quilt endure.
I also headed to the clay studio after a couple hours in the sewing studio. One of my smooth red or dark clay mugs had to be tossed into the scrap bucket because the handle was cracked. The white one seemed okay. However, I added underglaze to the dry clay, which potentially could crack it. I've decided I'm going to be okay with that if it's a lesson learned on what not to do. These mugs I make this year are gonna tell a story as indicated by my stamping.
After applying Western light blue underglaze, I also decided to adhere a Chinese underglaze decal.
I do love to try different surface decorations and fingers crossed that adhering the decal with a wet paintbrush will also NOT crack my mug.
We shall see later today after quilting. After doing clay, I walked the dog at the park where we also have a plot at the community garden. A fellow gardener gave me more wax beans--my fav--and my husband made me pop these little green pods into my mouth. Cucumbers! Yes, below to show the scale, is the actual size of a certain Mexican gherkin, which chefs scatter into salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment