Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Quarantine Cooking: Mapo Tofu

I'm even closer to finishing the ROYBGIV quilt. I get a bit fatigued from rows and rows and rows of stitching that I can't always focus to keep them straight, which is okay as long as the quilt is sturdy and doesn't unravel. I'm channeling the quilters of Gee's Bend and hoping my crooked stitches lend an improvisational quality and charm to this blanket.
And so after quilting, I was more than ready to escape into the Zen of cooking. I had been coveting a carbon steel wok from Made In, but it costs $100. I found a proletariat version at the World Market for $25. Before cooking, I spent the late afternoon seasoning it. Finally I could use my wok spatula and spoon. I love it. I used up the rest of the chili sauce in my fridge, but think I have more in my pantry from Milk Street. This time around I used a silken tofu instead of extra firm--my neighbor Nancy said she liked the soft curds. I wish I had used more chili oil and more Szechuan peppercorns. I wanted to see more red and feel the burn. Next time.
I also had leftover bbq chicken and stir fried zucchini and wax beans for even more leftovers this week. 
You bet I'm gonna make mapo tofu again.

No comments:

Post a Comment