Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Ceramics: Field Trip to the Clay Store

Yesterday I likened our shopping or we ceramicists at a clay store to little kids in a toy shop. Our friend, Donna drove and then I treated us all to lunch at my new favorite deli after our trek to Clay Planet. We spent at least a couple hours dithering over clays before finally hauling 25-pound bags of Coleman porcelain (Meral),Venus white stoneware (me), and Bmix (Donna) to the car. And then it was another hour poring through shelves of glazes and tools. I ended up getting some clear matte midfire overglaze and ultramarine and celery underglazes I’d been needing as well as a loop tool to make more of my own texture rollers. Donna bought this cool texture ball which produces the beautiful ripples you’d see in a sandbar.                          



I could just borrow this ball from Donna while lending her my ocean waves texture roller, but I wanna start producing textures on my pots that aren’t also recognizable on someone else’s ceramics. Yup more whale studies as well as an ocean-themed lamp base.

No comments:

Post a Comment