Thursday, June 10, 2021

Cooking: Roast Beef & Boursin Lavosh Sandwiches

I was reading a dumb beach read by Elin Hilderbrand—I finished two of her novels, but her second one was so stupidly banal that I’ve decided never again. Her fiction feels a bit autobiographically reminiscent of her own blonde woman privileged life(the lifestyle of her protagonist match up a little too much with the author's biography on the back cover flap)to which I just don’t relate and makes me jealous that she lives right on the beach. I would so love to live more coastal, but hubs complains it would be too foggy and that our windows wouldn’t shut squarely because of all the moisture. Anyway the character in the first novel (which didn’t bother me as much even though it felt both unnecessarily melodramatic at its end) made roast beef and Boursin pinwheels in a summer scene, and that detail lodged itself into my brain and impelled me to buy the ingredients. And I was gonna just roll up the roast beef, Boursin and arugula in a large flour tortilla, but then I saw lavosh in the bread aisle at Trader Joe’s. Next time I must remember to put the arugula leaves underneath the meat, so that they're flattened before I start rolling.        

I also added a bit of mayo for moistness and horseradish and Dijon 
This was such an easy appetizer to make. And because I've got 4 more slices of lavosh, I aim to make Swiss cheese and ham and then turkey and avocado pinwheels next. My neighbors are the perfect people to foist these sandwiches on.

No comments:

Post a Comment