Monday, June 7, 2021

Cooking: Seafood Pasta

I had gone both warehouse and grocery shopping yesterday and was in the mood to cook! However, I was kind of wracked by indecision. I knew I wanted to integrate leeks and spring garlic into whatever I made, but what? Steak grilled with rosemary and served alongside potatoes, leek, and garlic? A meatless meal of potatoes, leek and spring garlic soup with fresh baked beer bread? Or my initial plan of seafood pasta?

I had bought Dungeness crab, and so in the end went with the original plan and took out frozen shrimp, chopped leeks, spring garlic, a large clove of regular garlic, and my last bunch of parsley. I also microplaned lemon zest and squeezed a half a lemon and took out the rest of the angel hair pasta in my carbohydrates drawer. I guess I've cooked this dish so often that I know to get the aromatics cooking first because the skinny pasta and seafood only take a couple minutes to boil and sauté 'til done.
I didn't however anticipate that the pasta would soak up so much of the cooking liquids and could've added more cream or starchy pasta water. Always making mistakes, always learning. I also forgot about the seafood stock in the fridge to use and amp up the flavor of the cream sauce. I did remember to get water boiling to blanch the sugar snap peas before tossing in butter.
What's great about this meal is that it comes together fast once your mise en place is done.
Also what's leftover can all go into one container to eat another night and to which I can add more crab and shrimp which cook super fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment