Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Cooking: Beef Stroganoff

Last night I could see making this stroganoff vegetarian because of the boxed mushroom broth that was in my cupboard though I only had an 8 ounce package of crimini mushrooms. But I had some chuck beef for stew I wanted to get rid of as well as the rest of a package of egg noodles.                               
And so I used my French rolling pin to pound and tenderize the beef before cutting it against the grain into smaller, bite-sized pieces to also speed up the cooking time. After flouring and frying the beef and then simmering it with the sautéed onion and mushrooms in the mushroom broth, I kind of went overboard on spices and condiments to further flavor the sauce: yellow mustard, soy sauce, Worcestershire, garlic powder, paprika as well as tomato paste and sour cream to further thicken it. And then it was just a matter of simmering to drive out the water and further concentrate the mushroom flavor as well as put in a tablespoon of sherry as an afterthought. 
Cooking all that sauce down pushed dinner to an hour later, which was okay as I’d had a late lunch and hubs had his usual snack of chips and salsa not that long before the usual mealtime.                      
And the beef and noodles were tasty though I chided hubs for giving Sadie meat that had been cooked with onions and garlic—I had also sautéed beef sans any aromatics or seasoning as well as made beef broth for her kibble meals while cooking our human dinner.
There’s about two servings of stroganoff to one serving of egg noodles leftover, which is a delicious excuse for me to cook up a single serving of creamy and buttery mashed Yukon gold potatoes to soak up that delicious stroganoff gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment