Thursday, June 10, 2021

Cooking: What to Do with the Last of the Leeks, Spring Garlic and Red Potatoes


I pondered cooking something different other than soups with the last of our spring harvest from the vegetable garden. But I loved the smoky fish chowder and vichyssoise so much from a couple weeks ago that I thought hubs wouldn’t mind it again. Also the mahi mahi was so delicious in the chowder that I picked it up again in the frozen fish case of Trader Joe’s. I used homemade chicken bone broth in the potato leek soup and a boxed seafood broth and clam juice for the fish chowder.
Instead of cooking vichyssoise again, I went with regular potato and leek soup but still added a bit of nutmeg though I didn't puree or cool the soup which the hubs opted for--which surprised me and again reinforced to me that fish really isn't his favorite though he'll enjoy salmon if it's not overcooked and only served once a month. These are the soups without the cream. I put a little dried thyme into both soups. And I reserved the fish for the last few minutes of cooking before serving and reserved the bacon to sprinkle while still crunch on top of the soup.
Below are the soups with the cream and fish added.
They were both delicious and am so glad I cooked them again.      

No comments:

Post a Comment