Friday, June 11, 2021

Ceramics: Surface Decoration Continued

Before working on a quilt yesterday, I headed into the ceramics classroom to underglaze the text in my "MARK" and "CUT" vessels and then dipping them in white glaze. I ended up glazing more than just those two pots. I underglazed the texts in a heart pendant and then glazing it with Coyote's Fairy Rose as well as the texts in rocks etched with "WONDER" and "NOTICE" which are to be the sentence starters for my school's common classroom practice. I also dipped two heart pendants into the Fairy Rose glaze and then loaded them up and the rocks with glass to melt in their cone 5 firing. 

And not only that. I hand built a slab cylinder for my paintbrushes. And then loaded my glazed pots into the kiln. It was a pleasant hour in the ceramics room with Zan and Erica who were also glazing. After my day of making, I delivered the bisque pots to Meral and discussed surface decoration of them. Here's my reference library.


I might stop by campus to borrow some newsprint and pick up my blue and green glazes as well as my frost porcelain slabs. I don't know though if I'll have time as I'm also going with my friend, Donna to the Legion of Honor museum to view Last Supper in Pompeii, where I'll likely find inspiration for making dinnerware. Bouquets to Art 2021 is all sold out. Shoot! However, I will have to make a membership appointment for Donna so she can view the Southwestern pottery exhibit at the de Young. I do feel lucky to live close to a city with cultural attractions to inspire us further.

No comments:

Post a Comment