Friday, June 11, 2021

Ceramics: Iron Oxide Decals

I had told Zan that I think the firing temperature for turning the greenware into bisque is probably the cone for making iron oxide decals permanent--not burning out, nor rubbing out. And you know what? It works.

And from a reading of Justin Rothshank, you need to use a laser printer that contains at least 30% iron oxide. And there is that in the toner of the laser printer where I work. Laser transfer decals adhere permanently in cone 04 firing atop a glaze that has already matured to at least a cone 6 firing (my midfire pieces are cone 5-6, and so I think we're good there) though Zan's mug had been fired cone 10.
Dang is that mug adorable! And now I can't wait to make more pots that are  personalized or marked more thoughtfully with this surface decoration. I showed Meral these pics, and she said to send her photos for her to crop out the background and heighten the contrast between dark and light. And I told her I would likewise give her a couple sheets of the transfer paper or print up the images she wants in my work printer.

No comments:

Post a Comment